If your needs are urgent, or you fear for you and your baby’s safety, call 911 or a qualified crisis hotline such as 800-273-TALK immediately. You can also access the crisis text line 24/7 by texting “HOME” to 741-741. For non-emergency Maternal Mental Health Support, you can call 1-833-943-5746 to reach the National Maternal Mental Health Hotline operated by Postpartum Support International.
Dr. Katayune Kaeni, The Pregnancy Workbook: Manage Anxiety and Worry with CBT and Mindfulness Techniques
Karen Kleiman, Good Moms Have Scary Thoughts: A Healing Guide to the Secret Fears of New Mothers
Over 90 percent of new mothers will have scary, intrusive thoughts about their baby and themselves. What if I drop him? What if I snap and hurt my baby? Mothering is so hard. I don't know if I really want to do this anymore. Gosh, I'm so terrible for thinking that! Yet for too many mothers, those thoughts remain secret, hidden away in shame that make you feel even worse. But here's the good news: you CAN feel better! Available on Amazon.
Kim Fluxgold, Where Did Mommy's Smile Go?
Where Did Mommy’s Smile Go? Aims to teach parents, caregivers, teachers and loved ones how to help children cope with their feelings when someone they love is suffering with depression. It takes you on a journey through the eyes of a young girl trying to grasp the difference between sadness and depression when her mom suddenly takes ill. With patience and comfort, her dad helps her understand an illness she cannot see and assures her that she is safe, loved and, most of all, not to blame for her mom’s depression. Available on Amazon.ca (Canada) or by emailing Kim at [email protected].
- A Mother’s Postpartum Depression Bill of Rights
- Perinatal Mental Health Alliance for People of Color
- The Postpartum Pact
- Antidepressant Medication For Pregnancy & Breastfeeding
A Mom Mental Checklist, that's downloadable and available in different languages:
- 2020 Mom U.S. Hospital Program Guide
- Hopeful Mama: http://hopefulmama.com/resources/
- Maternal Mental Health Leadership Alliance: https://www.mmhla.org/
- MGH Center for Women’s Mental Health: http://womensmentalhealth.org
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/
- Postpartum Support International: http://www.postpartum.net
- Proyecto Mamá: https://proyectomamamke.com/
- Safe Families for Children- Milwaukee Chapter: https://milwaukee.safe-families.org
- Milwaukee Muslim Women's Coalition
Please note Moms Mental Health Initiative does not endorse or recommend any services listed here. We appreciate the support doulas offer to mothers. We have not vetted the listed resources.